The Stevens-Duryea brand was founded after early automobile pioneers J. Frank Duryea and his brother, Charles, had a parting of ways. The two had produced a small run of Duryea automobiles, one of the earliest American cars, in 1896. J. Frank and the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. joined forces after the split and by 1905 were producing the high quality, four cylinder, 20 horsepower four Model “R”, which was a very up to date automobile for the time. The car featured a unit engine and transmission with threepoint support as seen above in a promotional photo that some clever marketeer thought up to demonstrate it’s strength.
An advertisement in the April, 1905, issue of “Horseless Age” magazine (below) fills in all the details about the novel power plant mounting. Another unusual feature of this model was a flywheel mounted at the very front of the engine. In practice, this feature worked very well since it made it much less likely that this critical component would bottom out on uneven terrain, as units placed in the conventional rearward location would occasionally do. Many other interesting Stevens-Duryea photos can be found here on The Old Motor.