- A Ford worker operating a state-of-the art multiple-spindle drill press on a flathead V-8 engine block in 1934.
The story of Ford’s enormous production facility located at the confluence of the Rouge and Detroit Rivers is very well known. Developed between 1917 and 1928, it’s specifications were staggering. It was a mile and a half wide and more than a mile long. It’s 93 buildings covered 15,767,708 square feet. Within that area was everything necessary to convert raw materials into finished Fords. It was truly a wonder of the industrial world.
- L to R :Installing valve, valve guide and spring assemblies, pistons, rods and head studs and camshafts in the flathead V-8.
But in this week after Labor Day, we thought we’d feature some photos of the men that made that enormous factory hum. At it’s peak in the 1930’s, more than 100,000 people worked at The Rouge, as it came to be known. Without them, it would have been nothing more than a cold, dark colossus. These images date from that era. Many more photos and information can be found here about the Ford Motor Company River Rouge Plant on The Old Motor. The photos are courtesy of the Henry Ford.