Last week we showed you earlier photos of Duesenberg La Grande bodied car J-107 being shown, possibly at the Chicago Auto Show when new. This batch of photos show the car at some point later on, possibly being offered for sale and give us a different perspec-tive of the attractive dual cowl bodywork. Note the distinctive La Grande style wind-shield riser with the four small glass panels. A few changes with time can be noted; the front fenders have been bobbed, the horns have been changed, Trippe lights have been added and the side of the spare tire cover color has been changed. Fred Roe Collection photo, courtesy of Racemaker Press.
The photo above shows a 1900 Packard Model B on the dynamometer being tested at the factory. This is the second early model produced by the company, which can be seen fully equipped in a photo at left below. The text below is from the May, 16 1900 Horseless Age magazine, which used the very same photo as the above, provided by The Ohio Auto-mobile Co., which is was the firms name at the time. This model in period advertising was called the 9 h.p. Standard. It had also been referred to as a Mark II. It is believed that 29 model B’s were built, 2 examples of which survive.
Lessons of the Road below, a column in the Horseless Age, June 16, 1900 magazine gives full details of a trip under taken in a 1900 Packard from Cleveland , OH. to Buffalo, NY. Photos from the Rod Blood Collection courtesy of the Larz Anderson Auto Museum.
The Ford Good Drivers League was established in 1940 “for the purpose of promoting better driving habits among boys of high school age” so stated a pamphlet printed at the time. It was later expanded to include young women in 1941. The president of the league was Edsel Ford, who can be seen in a film which has survived, presenting awards.
In 1940 the national finals were held at the New York Worlds Fair. In this photo dated Aug. 23, 1941, we see Ledia Lymans a state finialist from Delaware, at the corner of Canfield West and Second Ave. in Detroit, where the contest was held in 1941. The Old Motor photo.