1932 Oldsmobile, Series L Eight, Deluxe Convertible Roadster and a Harley-Davidson single equipped with a Cycletow conversion kit
The Paul A. Ziegler Oldsmobile Agency was located at 4515 South Vermont Avenue in Los Angeles when this promotional photo was taken for the car dealer in 1932. Shown in the photo is an Oldsmobile Series L Eight, Deluxe Convertible Roadster and a Harley-Davidson single-cylinder motorcycle equipped with a Cycletow conversion kit.
1932 was the first year that Oldsmobile offered its new straight-eight along with the six, which had been the standard fare for quite some time. Even with the addition of the new power plant in one of the most trying years of the Great Depression, Oldsmobile’s sales dropped from forty-eight thousand in 1931 to a low point of only seventeen thousand for the year.
Full 1932 Oldsmobile details, “Automotive Industries”, January 2, 1932
In addition to the new 82-hp. 240-c.i. eight-cylinder engine, Oldsmobile featured the following new innovations: the Stromberg downdraft carburetor featured an automatic choke; a decarbonizer operated by dash-mounted plunger, injected a chemical into the intake manifold, which then entered into the cylinders when used just before engine shutdown; two other new features were free-wheeling and a Harrison oil cooler.
Chassis details and a Deluxe Convertible Roadster illustration
No further information was found about the Ziegler Oldsmobile dealership, but full details did come-to-light about the Cycletow attachment seen here mounted on a single-cylinder Harley-Davidson. Look a full report with more great photos and the patent drawings of the Albert L. Hess designed motorcycle-towing arrangement tomorrow. The images are courtesy of the USC Libraries. The illustrations above are courtesy of the Old Car Manual Project and Alden Jewell.
Albert L. Hess designed Cycletow motorcycle-towing arrangement
The book French Curves: Delahaye – Delage – Talbot-Lago, features over two dozen examples of the three important French marques in the collection of Peter W. Mullin; all are on exhibit at the renown Mullin Automotive Museum in Oxnard, California. This attractive Talbot-Lago T 26-GS is the second car to be featured here from French Curves, which covers the designs of French coachbuilders Figoni & Falaschi, Chapron and Saoutchik, and others along with the three marques.
The Type 26-GS chassis is a touring version of the Grand Prix racing car and it was introduced in 1947 at the Paris Auto Salon. The Grand Sport features a dohc 4.5-liter engine that produced 190-hp., it was capable of a 125 mph top speed. In racing form it was successful at LeMans and other endurance contests of the period.
The exceptional coachwork on this car is the work of Jacques Saoutchik.This Grand Sport was originally finished in two shades of blue with gold-plated interior fittings, and is believed to be the one displayed at the 1948 Paris and 1949 Brussels Auto Salons.
More information about the book French Curves, the combined work of Richard Adatto, Claude Figoni, Shana Hinds and photographer Michael Furman can be learned at Coachbuilt Press. More about the Talbot-Lago and other cars in Peter W. Mullin’s collection can be found at the Mullin Automotive Museum.
Sherlock, Jr., the perfect entertainment for an Easter Sunday was filmed during 1924. It appears to have been the third feature-length film Buster Keaton made. The movie is a non-stop collection of stunts and is filled with plenty of action. This video contains the short driverless motorcycle scene in the movie, along with plenty of cars, trucks and even a steam locomotive to enjoy while viewing it.