Tag Archives: Acetylene Gas Lamp

Early Alco Lighting

Very interesting lighting is shown here, which is carried on a friend’s 1908 6-cylinder Alco. The acetylene  headlamp above is after French pattern, is quite large and carries a very interesting magnifying lens in front of the gas burner. The oil side lamp carries a very interesting pagoda style font on the top.

In case you are new to early non electrically lit cars, the side and tail lamps on early cars operate like most any oil lamp. The oil or kerosene is carried in the small tank at the bottom and an adjustable wick in the oil enters the lamp body and is lit with a match. It is then adjusted with the small round hand-wheel until it burns cleanly. The Old Motor photo.

2 Comments
Posted in Pre-War Contemporary Photos | Tagged , , |

Acetylene Gas Lighting

The Rushmore gas headlamps on a 1910 Locomobile and the shaking grate acetylene generator that fuels them are seen on the recent New England Brass and Gas tour. Ad copy below from Rushmore, shows how these lamps and the generator operate. The Old Motor photos.

The illustration below demonstrates how the burner in the lamp and the reflector send the bright flame from the gas out of the lamp.

The advertising piece below shows how the acetelene gas generator works. Small pieces of carbide rock are placed in the basket. The water dripping on it from above creates the gas which is piped to the lamps and burners. Carl Fischer later perfected the acetylene tank (Prestolite), with which all you had to do was turn the valve on to let the pressurized gas go to the lamps. The generators had a considerable amount of maintenance and planning involved with them.

2 Comments
Posted in Auto photos 1885 - 1920, Pre-War Contemporary Photos | Tagged , , , , |

Solarclipse Lighting

 

 

Solarclipse lamps were one of the most impressive and attractive lamps of their time. The design originated in France and was produced there as the Besnard Lamp. The advertising piece below shows a lamp with a dimming mechanism, which moved a dimmer in front of the acetylene gas burner, cutting the output of the lamp to only what was projected forward by the reflector. These lamps were quite expense as the construct-ion was extraordinary and the convex ground lens, which is over an inch thick, serves as a magnifier.

The ad below from the Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal below, dated August 1908 is courtesy of The Horseless Carriage Foundation. See a pair of these lamps on the preceding post showing us a Lozier Briarcliff. The Old Motor photos.

2 Comments
Posted in Auto photos 1885 - 1920, Out Of The Box | Tagged , , |