Tag Archives: locomobile
- Newton, Massachusetts Fire Department Chief Walter Randlett and fireman William V. Fogwell in a 1903 Stanley Solid Seat Runabout
By the time our photo was taken, the Stanley brothers had been in the business of building steam cars for six years. First under their own name and then licensed to Locomobile, their designs proved so thoroughly reliable that they soon became very popular with fire and police departments. Fire departments were very well acquainted with steam equipment operating practices having used steam pumpers since the mid-19th century. We suspect that the location of the Stanley factory right in Newton also made Chief Randlett’s choice of vehicles an easy one.
Their acceleration was swift and the direct gearing of the 8 HP engine to the axle as seen in our bottom photo eliminated the possibility of any clutch and transmission problems. The article above from the Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal describes the favorable power to weight ratio and reasonable price of these early Stanley models that contributed to their success and the ingenious boiler design that all but eliminated the likelihood of explosion.
Locomobile would abandon steam car production in 1903. Stanley continued on and prospered in following years until Delco’s introduction of the electric starter in 1912 eliminated a major drawback of “internal explosion cars” as Stanley called them, after which interest in steamers began to decline. You’ll find many more posts about Stanleys and other steam cars previously on The Old Motor and some interesting Newton Fire Department history here. Photo courtesy of Historic Newton.
This is the second in a series of articles featuring the legendary 120 h.p. 1906 Locomobile, which won the 1908 Vanderbilt Cup Race at the hands of George Robertson. It is shown here in images from The Henry Ford Museum and contemporary press photos that were published shortly after it won that contest. We will not cover either the 1906 and 1908 Vanderbilt Cup races here, as they have been widely reported on many times before, but you can learn much more about the role this car played in them on earlier posts here on The Old Motor.
After the car was finished traveling around the country doing post race publicity for the company, it ended up on Andrew L. Riker’s farm in southwestern Connecticut where he evidently enjoyed it for a few years. He had designed the car for the company in his position as Locomobile’s chief engineer. At some point before 1920, it passed on to Joseph Sessions of Bristol, Connecticut. That city was a clock-making and manufacturing center in those days and Sessions ran J. H. Sessions & Son that manufactured hardware for travel trunks. He also operated one of the leading foundries in the state, which cast many of the parts that went into the making of the Locomobile racing cars.
Sessions built a special building to house the car on the grounds of his brownstone mansion on Federal Hill in Bristol. He was known to take the car out once a year on a very fast run and it has been reported that he often received an annual speeding ticket from the police who did not take kindly to this activity. My grandmother worked for the Sessions’ in the mansion during the 1920′s and 1930′s.
- L to R : The intake side of the 990 cubic inch four cylinder engine – The racing helmet that George Robertson wore during the race – The intake rocker arms at the top of the F-head engine.
- L to R : The shift and hand brake levers, front sprocket and drive chain – The exhaust side of the engine – The hand throttle and spark control levers.
Upon Sessions’ death in 1941, several prominent early antique car collectors expressed a desire to buy the famous car from the family. In the end Artist Peter Helck who was close friends with Joe Tracy, the driver of the car in the 1906 race, was chosen to be it’s next caretaker. In January of 1942, the car was towed on a rope behind a truck all the way to Helck’s home in Boston Corners, New York with Tracy at the wheel.
After the war, the legendary car was a regular participant in important old car and VMCCA events with Tracy behind the wheel at many of them, along with Helck and his son Jerry. Helck treasured the car until his death in 1988 after which the car was passed on to his son Jerry who eventually transferred it to The Henry Ford Museum where it can be seen on display today. In 1960, Peter Helck was kind enough to give your writer, then aged five, a ride in the car while on a tour, an experience I have never forgotten.
- George Robertson and Glenn Ethridge making a high speed pass down Main Street in Bridgeport, Connecticut, during a two day celebration in honor of winning the 1908 Vanderbilt Cup. The Automobile November 12, 1908.
- L to R : Locomobile and crew in N.Y.C. at the start of the run to the factory – A small part of the crowd in Port Chester, N.Y – Robertson posing with the silver Vanderbilt Cup at the celebration in Bridgeport, Connecticut.
Automobile Topics, in their December 1908 issue, described the full details of the victory celebration, which started at the Locomobile branch in New York City. There the car and a party of ten other Locomobiles and enthusiasts formed up for a run to Bridgeport, Connecticut. The entire route from the city to it’s home was lined with people waiting to see the famous car and crew. Stops were made in both New Rochelle and Port Chester, New York, where thousands more arrived to see the famous racing car. The next stop was at a lavish luncheon prepared for them at the Indian Harbor Yacht Club in Greenwich, Connecticut. After lunch, twenty more cars joined the parade to Bridgeport.
The following day, a grand two day celebration began for which thirty thousand people descended upon the city. They saw Robertson and Ethridge take the car on a high speed run through the municipality where, in places, they “let it out to it’s full speed”. That evening a banquet for three hundred people was held at the new Stratfield Hotel to cap off the event. At the dinner, driver Jim Florida and mechanician L.M. Travis who had handled the second Locomobile “1″ in the race, were also honored for the part they played in the team’s success, a third place finish.
- Two 1908 champions, the Thomas-Flyer New York to Paris Race winner and the Locomobile Vanderbilt Cup winner on display at the automobile show held at the Grand Palace in in New York City. Image from The Automobile, January 21, 1909.
After all the celebrations ended, the car made the rounds of all the major automobile shows in the country and visited the various Locomobile branch showrooms until 1910 when the car was returned to the factory in Bridgeport.
To finish off, just below is a video made by Academy Award winning film maker Sue Marks with the late Paul Newman introducing the car and telling the tale of “The day she raced the World and won”. In it you can see rare period film footage, photos and watch as curators at the museum ran the car through its paces in one of the last times that it was run in 2008.
A Model “T” Ford, Model 18 Packard, Model 30 Locomobile and a Model “K” Ford.
Although the weather was less than perfect, drivers of around 125 pre-1916 cars recently participated in this year’s Horseless Carriage Club of America’s New England Gas and Brass Tour sponsored by the Autoneers chapter. Held every two years in the region, the schedule of this popular event included four days of touring that covered between 50 and 125 miles each day most of which were in Vermont but with some forays into New York State. A short mid-week mystery tour kept things interesting.
Vehicles come from all over the country and typically run the gamut from a one cylinder Cadillacs to the largest six cylinder luxury cars of the era. Various routes include many back roads that are not so very different from the time when these venerable cars were brand new. The accompanying photos sent to us by Roberto Rodriguez are but a small sample of this year’s group. You can find out more about the HCCA here.
L to R (Above) : A Reo touring car and a Hudson, a handsome Model 30 Packard dashboard and a Model 30 Cadillac Below, (L to R) : A Model “K” Ford, an E-M-F Model 30, and a Hudson roadster converted into a pickup truck .