Tag Archives: Mercer
For one of our last posts of images of the 2014 Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance, we have presented a number of detail images taken by Alan Gosley. After the field opens for general admission at ten in the morning, it becomes quite difficult to photograph a complete car, so Alan’s talented eye for seeking out interesting facets of automotive design and execution comes into play in his work.
Follow along and view some of the outstanding pre-war cars and details that were seen on the field this year. You can also look back on our earlier coverage of the Concours here, and see many more photos at OverDriveImages.com showing many of the activities that went on during the event. You can also learn more at AmeliaConcours.org.
From the earliest days of motoring, advertising was the primary venue for auto-related art. Accomplished painters like Peter Helck produced some very high quality work from the 1920′s through the 1940′s but for the most part the fine art community considered such stuff mere illustration. However, in recent years, the genre has come into it’s own, due in no small part to the efforts of the Automotive Fine Arts Society.
We are very happy to be able present some beautiful examples of their work here today. Be sure to check out the Societies members work at the exhibit at the upcoming Pebble Beach Concours and next year at the Amelia Island Concours. See the Society’s president, Ken Eberts earlier work here on The Old Motor.
The l-head Mercer was a new model the firm introduced in 1915 after a sensational run with the t-head Mercer, which was produced during the years of 1911-1914. The t-head Mercer in our opinion, is one of the finest preform-ing and well built cars of the time. It has gone on to become a legend, due in part to its racing success and the handsome looking Raceabout model.
The new model, designed by engineer Eric Delling, hired after master engineer Finley Porter resigned in 1914, was a much more modern car in keeping with the times. The company had also moved away from from the racing arena and Delling laid out the basic design, Mercer would stay with until the end in 1925.
The new cars were offered on longer 115″ and 130″ wheelbases with a more modern l-head, long stroke 70 h.p. four, with all four cylinders contained in one high quality iron casting on top of an aluminum crankcase. The company backed it up with a four speed gearbox, that as in the t-head, shifted extreme-ly well and is a joy to operate, as opposed to some other units, built in a time of somewhat unruly clutches and transmissions.
The conventional chassis Delling designed was in keeping with the Mercer reputation of being a good handling high-speed automobile, in part because it was one of the first to use Houdaille hydraulic shock absorbers. In 1920 when the Series 5 Mercer seen here was built, the company offered the following models; The famous Raceabout on the short 115″ w.b., and the 6-pass. Touring, the Sportabout or Sporting, a 4-pass. Runabout, and the 6-pass. Limousine all on the 130″ w.b.
The fine Mercer Sporting seen here is from the JWR Auto Museum in Frackville, PA., which was owned by the well know, late John W. Rich Sr. Mark Lizewskie, curator and restorer of the collection provided the interesting history of this particular car.
John Gillette, of Wadsworth, Ohio purchased the car in 1991 with 93,156 miles registered on it, from the Mount Vernon, Ohio estate of Mr. Charles G. Jackson, a dedicated enthusiast, historian and Mercer expert who had driven the car for 47 years. In the process of conducting a complete body off-restoration of the rolling chassis, engine and body, Mr. Gillette learned a great deal about Mr. Jackson. He had purchased the car from the original owner in Bellville, Ohio in 1946 and, as an early automobile historian, had authored a three-part article for the March, June and September 1951 issues of Antique Automobile entitled “Mercer, A Technical History.” Later, he partnered with others to write the Mercer instruction manual for L-head engines made between 1915-1923 and also penned an article detailing his Mercer engine rebuild with 63,000 miles on the odometer, which appeared in the June 1949 issue of Antique Automobile.
As Mr. Gillette embarked on the restoration, small treasures from Jackson’s ownership appeared – everything from an invoice from Lincoln Garage in Trenton, NJ to Jackson’s homemade tools and the original Billings & Spencer tools that came new with the car. Dismantling began in 1995, with parts and pieces being distributed to numerous professionals. Many Mercer enthusiasts contributed much-needed pieces and information. Perhaps most amazingly, Mr. Gillette even uncovered a photograph he took as a young teenager in the 1950s of a car he liked at an old car rally near Canal Fulton, Ohio. It was the very same Mercer, still in Jackson’s ownership!
Working alone, the assembly process was quite time-consuming, but everything was refurbished, replaced or rebuilt. The black long-grain leather upholstery proved to be particularly challenging, but was finally sourced from Trenton, NJ and perfectly matches the original. The car presents beautifully with its dark brown top, which was listed as an option in the Mercer parts book. The car retains the original storage locks and keys, complete side curtains and the original Mercer tools.