Tag Archives: Motorcycle
Dapper Dan the motorcycle-mounted service man was the good will ambassador for Franciscan Motors, which sold and serviced the Studebaker and Erskine. The firm was located at 608-610 West Central Avenue in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The motorcycle was the vehicle of choice from many dealerships back in the period for road service because of its lower cost, good gas mileage and visibility of signage when equipped with a sidecar or service box.
The Indian with its distinctive quarter elliptic sprung fork, appears to be the smaller Scout model, first introduced in 1920 with a 37 c.i. engine, that was finally enlarged to a 45 c.i. in 1927. The service box mounted on the sidecar chassis appears to have been constructed of wood, possibly locally.
Dapper Dan is attired with the typical motorcycling gear of the time; gauntlets to protect his hands and wrists, leg spats to protect his shins and he is wearing a jaunty looking cap and jacket with a Studebaker patch proudly sewn on his left shoulder.
These excellent photos are courtesy of the University of New Mexico and were originally made by the Brooks Studio, one of Albuquerque’s best commercial photographic companies at the time. Stop by The Old Motor tomorrow to learn more and see photos of the Franciscan Motors Studebaker Agency taken during 1927.
The brainchild of Orley Ray Courtney, the unique style of this dramatic piece of rolling sculpture cannot be denied. A lifelong devotee of two-wheeled transport from his teen years on, Courtney made his living shaping sheet metal, first for McFarlan and Duesenberg in Indiana and later with Oldsmobile.
His concept for this bike arose out of his belief that the motorcycle manufacturers of the day over-valued speed and high performance to the detriment of real world riders’ need for comfort and protection from the weather. He brought his considerable skills to bear making that dream real in the smoothly flowing lines and complex compound curves of this remarkable bike.
And while his idea failed to significantly influence the future direction of motorcycle design, Courtney never abandoned that dream, producing another streamliner almost 20 years later that made the cover of the March, 1953 issue of Popular Science magazine. Unlike his earlier machine, the Enterprise was powered by a V-twin from an Indian Scout instead of a Henderson inline four. And while the sheet metal enclosing the inner workings might not seem as elegant as the 1934 model, the frame was entirely handmade.
Both of these one-of-a-kind motorcycles currently reside in the collection of Frank Westfall. While the Enterprise remains in original state, the Henderson was the subject of an extensive restoration performed by Pat Murphy.
You can read much more about many Orley Courtney’s unconventional machines in Ed Youngblood’s excellent article on his Motohistory site (scroll down). The color photos seen here are courtesy of the The Antique Motorcycle Club of America , which is currently celebrating it’s 59th year as an organization dedicated to the preservation and celebration of two-wheeled transportation. This Henderson KJ will be displayed at an exhibition called: Sensuous Steel: Art Deco Automobiles at The Frist Center in Nashvile, TN. starting on June 14, 2013.
This is our third in a series of photos showing the track, riders and machines that “Rode The Boards” in St. Louis.
This appears to be John B. Hoefeler with his Excelsior Auto-Cycle. The other rider with the No Tsu Oh Oil Jersey is unidentified.
Note the total lack of front or rear suspension and brakes. Without brakes, the only way to slow down was to hit the kill button and use the engine compression as a brake. The machines were direct drive without a clutch, just a chain from the engine sprocket to the rear wheel (all of the bikes in these photos have had the chains taken off for ease of moving).
This photo gives us a good view of the pine 2 x 4 track surface that became quite rough with the passage of time and weather. You can see Hoefeler’s cushion strapped to the gas and oil tanks to keep him from banging his chest on the top frame tube. Photo by J. R. Eike, courtesy of the Thomas Kempland Collection.
Below is a modern video filmed in Germany of an event that is held on what appears to be a bicycle racing track, even though it is different, it still gives you a feel for what track racing it was like.
Last week we featured a very interesting video of a 1908-1909 Trojan & Nagl V-4, which was replicated by Pavel Malanik, a well known restorer from the Czech Republic. Pavel and his friend Josef Kubista have been in contact with us since and have sent along these photos and more information.
The following is Josef Kubista’s description on the company and the effort by Malanik, that went into fabricating the chassis and machining the engine from scratch: “The Trojan & Nagl Company was based in Kolin (on the Labe River in Bohemia, which was an Austro Hungarian monarchy then). From the early 1900s, through 1910s and possibly into the early 1920s, the firm produced bicycles and motorcycles (one and two cylinders). As found in period marketing materials, we also know of a small car along with this four cylinder machine. A 3 cyl. Trojan & Nagl engine is also believed to have been used in one of the earliest local helicopter attempts as early as in 1912″.
“The bikes design was not really progressive and when we go through all the leaflets over the years, we still see the company using the same basic features that were out-dated before WW1. Features like flat belt drive, atmospheric inlet valve, bicycle type frame and seat, etc. How many of them were made is not known, the company itself looks very small by its footprint, but judging by number of preserved machines (and just engines in many cases) they must have been quite popular”.
“This V-4 replica bike was built based on only one poor picture in a period marketing leaflet of Trojan & Nagl, by using “common sense” and dimensions taken from existing preserved Torpedo singles and twins. This picture was apparently taken from a photograph originally, so it is believed that the motorcycle was really built “in the metal” once upon a time”.
Pavel Malanik is very well known restorer of early (1897 to 1910) Laurin & Klement motorcycles and he built this replica with an engine that has atmospheric intake valves. The curved second set of pushrods seen in the photos operate the ignitors of the make-and-brake ignition and the other set the exhaust valves.
So there you have it, the run down of one mans very determined effort to build a machine that no longer existed. Be sure to view the video in the link above if you have not seen it before, as you can see other construction photos and then watch and hear it’s very distinctive sound as Malanik rides it.