Tag Archives: Roderic Blood Collection
As we mentioned in our last post covering the 1911 Packard, the firm had made the big move as most of the other high quality manufacturers had, or were planning to do and announced the companies Model 48 six cylinder engine as can be seen above.
It is very similar to most big American six cylinders engines of the time, a t-head design of 525 c.i. with a 4.5 ” bore x 5.5″ stoke. The crankcase and oil pan were cast of aluminum and the three separate cylinder blocks were of cast iron. Visible are the up-draft air-valve carburetor and in front of it the unique Packard governor of the diaphragm type that is operated by the water pressure output of the water pump.
Below left to right are shown; the Model 48 Brougham, a Model 30 which Packard con-tinued, shown wearing a touring body equipped with a “Canopy Top” with curved glass windows on either side at the rear. And last we see the Model 48 Touring car. Photos from the Rod Blood Collection courtesy of the Larz Anderson Auto Museum.
The Packard Company continued on into 1909 without many changes to the Model 30 other than a few refinements, but the big news was the introduction of the new Model 18. This new car was brought out by Packard for those who wanted a slightly smaller car and a car that was also easier to handle in the city. The Model 30 came on both a 124″ and 108″ w.b. chassis, depending on the body chosen, with a 5″ x 5.5″ bore and stroke four-cylinder engine. The Model 18 chassis wheelbases were 112″ and 102″ with a 4 1/16″ x 5 1/8″ bore and stroke four-cylinder. Full information on the new model can be seen in the last photo below, which is a page from the Oct. 1908 Cycle & Automobile Trade Journal.
The photo at the top shows an Enclosed-Drive Coupe posing in front of workmen at the factory, holding a cloth that was a bit to short behind it for contrast. The first three photos just above are quite interesting as they show a very mud-covered Packard along with documentation showing that it was driven from “Detroit, Michigan and over the mountains of Pennsylvania and return “. The forth photo shows a very elaborate town car equipped with a sun shade over the windshield as was occasionally seen on formal cars meant for touring use.
The first photo below shows a close-coupled touring car with an extra or “Mother in Law” seat on the very back, along with grab handles which are mounted on the back of the second seat. The second photo is labeled “Experimental Job 1909″ on the back and is evidently carrying the test crew for their “Portraits”. The third photo shows three Packards, two of which are carrying Indiana plates out in front of Willis-Haywood-Holcomb Packard dealers. The first car may be a 1908 model and note that the head-lamps are painted to save on brass polishing. The second car has a very unusually placed and large third lamp mounted over the radiator for extra light.
The Packard 443 was called the fourth series and both the Custom Eight and the Standard Eight were on the same 143″ w.b. The car was introduced in July of 1927 and this artwork we are viewing here is for the catalog or production cars. The true custom bodied cars were featured in a separate custom coach work catalog.
The Standard model was the same basic car as the Custom Eight but it was slightly less luxurious, with fewer color and trim choices and it carried rear mounted spare. 4,486 standard models were produced in comparison to the 3,314 Custom models during the model run. The Custom came with dual side-mounts and wire wheels were an option, that really gave the Packard a light and sporty look.
The l-head eight-cylinder engine has nine main bearings with a 3.5″ x 5″ bore & stroke and the 384.8 c.i. engine produced 109 h.p. It was backed by a dual-plate dry-clutch and three-speed gear box; the closed cars had a 4.33 rear axle ratio while the lighter open cars used a 4.07. The 443 was the last Packard to use drum style headlights. The Artwork is from the Roderic Blood Collection and is courtesy of the Larz Anderson Auto Museum.